Got a sensitive stomach and looking for the best low acid coffee brands? No worries, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve researched intensely and compiled a list of the best available in the market today to help you in your search. Come with us for this and much more.
If you make a purchase through any links on Coffee Brew Mag we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read the full Disclosure here.
At a Glance: 10 Best Low Acid Coffee Brands
- Lifeboost Coffee Whole Bean Medium Roast Coffee
- Puroast Low Acid Ground Coffee
- 2LB Don Pablo Colombian Supremo
- Tyler’s No Acid Organic Ground Coffee
- Java Planet, Organic Coffee Beans
- Tieman’s Fusion Coffee, Low Acid Dark Roast
- Lucy Jo’s Coffee, Organic Mellow Belly Low Acid Blend
- Healthwise Low Acid Coffee K-Cups
- 2LB Subtle Earth Organic Coffee
- Low Acid Coffee, Blend of Natural Low Acidic Coffee
Quick Summary: 10 Best Low Acid Coffee Brands
10 Best Low Acid Coffee Brands
Lifeboost Coffee Whole Bean Medium Roast Coffee
- Delicious, Ethically Sourced Coffee: You've tried the rest, now buy the best; Lifeboost Non-Gmo organic whole bean low acid coffee is high in flavor; The beans are sun dried, and spring water washed; The result is pure, natural coffee derived straight from nature
If you are looking for the healthiest and purest coffee, then Lifeboost coffee should be on top of your list. This high-quality coffee is made from 100% organic, Arabica beans shade-grown in Nicaraguan highlands in Central America.
What’s more, sitting at a PH level of 6, Lifeboost coffee is gentle on your stomach and unlikely to cause any discomfort
- Shade-grown hence naturally less acidic
- Made with 100% single-origin Arabica beans for a distinct flavor
- Handpicked, hand-washed, and sun-dried for maximum purity
- It’s USDA-certified organic, Fair-trade certified, Kosher-certified, and pesticide-free, guaranteeing quality
- Rich-bodied coffee with chocolatey, nutty flavor and hints of strawberry that gives a delicious drink with no bitter after-taste.
Low Acid Coffee Brands: Puroast Low Acid Ground Coffee
- Puroast - The Best Coffee - In the World, For the World
Say goodbye to your morning heartburn with this low acidic coffee brand. This coffee is made with beans from Venezuela which are slow-roasted over firewood to bring out their full flavor whilst getting rid of acids and oils.
Related: 10 Best Coffee For French Press
Boasting of being 70% lower in acid than most other brands, this coffee claims to offer up to 7 times more antioxidants than green tea and 5 times more than the regular coffee blends. How amazing?
- High in antioxidants: It has seven times more antioxidants in green tea and five times more in regular coffee
- Pure to the last drop: It’s naturally roasted without any additives or extractions
- 70% less acidic: It’s slowly roasted over a wood fire using a unique process to remove acidity
Low Acid Coffee Brands: 2LB Don Pablo Colombian Supremo
- Mild, sweet, and rich with a very smooth cocoa toned finish
This low acid coffee is made with coffee beans sourced from the Micala region, in Honduras. The coffee comes with a rich but mild aroma and a citrus flavor.
It uses whole Arabica beans with low acidity, medium body, and smooth cocoa-walnut finish notes. What’s more, the coffee is completely natural and made using traditional methods. Another plus, it’s insecticide-free.
- Artisan roasted in small batches to maintain maximum freshness
- Medium-bodied with low acidity
- Mild, sweet, and rich with hints of cocoa finish for excellent tasting coffee
- Free from any additives, Gmo, insecticides hence it’s high-quality
Low Acid Coffee Brands: Tyler’s No Acid Organic Ground Coffee
- The Cleaner Coffee … Ground low acid organic coffee is our whole foods initiative to enhance the health of coffee lovers across the world, without compromise to taste, quality, or tooth enamel.
If you are looking for coffee that’s completely acid-free, then this is it. Tyler claims to be the first and the only acid-free coffee maker. This coffee is made from high-quality AAA Arabica beans sourced from Chiapas in Mexico. The beans are roasted using a special All-Naturalz-Roasting process that leaves them 100% acid-free.
These beans are certified organic by the USDA as they are completely natural with no artificial caffeine, or any other additive is included.
- An acid-free coffee with a near-neutral PH that’s gentle on the stomach
- Unique roasting process that eliminates harmful tannins and lipid acids for a highly aromatic and flavorful coffee
- Pure coffee that’s organic and without any additives
- Healthy, Organic, low acid, perfectly balanced, coffee ground with no bitter aftertaste or adverse effects.
Low Acid Coffee Brands: Java Planet, Organic Coffee Beans
- Great Tasting Low Acid Coffee! This coffee is our most popular coffee adored by our customers seeking low acid and great flavor. While 3rd party lab tested as low acid, this coffee may not be suitable for individuals with certain digestive sensitivities.
Do you prefer brighter, low-acid coffee with a lighter roast? Look no further. Made by a small, family-based coffee producer, these beans result in smooth, rounded, and balanced coffee with notes of chocolate and fruitiness.
Java Planet uses Arabica beans sourced exclusively from Guatemala where they are shade-grown without using any pesticides.
- 100% organic certified arabica coffee grown without chemicals or GMOs hence a healthy choice
- USDA and Rainforest Alliance certified thus you can be sure of its quality
- Excellent tasting low acid coffee made with single-origin beans
- Whole bean packaging for the best flavor and preferred grind for any brew type
Low Acid Coffee Brands: Tieman’s Fusion Coffee, Low Acid Dark Roast
- Low acid, ultra smooth flavor, stomach settling benefits, with an average ph range of 5.85%
Are you the explorative type? How would you like a combination of tea and coffee? If this is you, then Tieman’s fusion coffee is an excellent choice.
It’s made with expertly blended 100% Arabica beans sourced from Colombia, Guatemala, and Ecuador and fused with Matcha Green Tea, Rooibos Red Tea, and Goji Berry powders. The result? A balanced, smooth, and creamy flavored coffee.
- Fused with Matcha green tea for 5-7 hours energy boost, Rooibos red tea for stomach-settling, and Goji berry powders for anti-inflammatory benefits
- Offers five times the body’s daily requirement for antioxidant protection
- Low acid coffee with an average PH range of 5.85%
Low Acid Coffee Brands: Lucy Jo’s Coffee, Organic Mellow Belly Low Acid Blend
- Certified Organic low acid coffee blend easy on the tummy
Offering a low acid blend, this ground coffee is made using 100% organic Arabica beans from Indonesia and Brazil. For maximum flavor, these beans are freshly roasted in small batches.
Lucy Jo’s Organic mellow bellow coffee comes with an earthy, sweet, and smooth taste with just a hint of spice. The roasting process helps remove any acidity making it easy on your stomach.
Related: 9 Best Keurig Coffee Makers
- Certified organic low acid coffee that’s easy on the stomach
- Roasted by hand in small batches for optimum flavor
- Smooth, sweet, and earthy flavor with hints of spice
- A perfect blend of 100% organic Indonesian and Brazilian Arabica beans for a delicious distinct taste.
Low Acid Coffee Brands: Healthwise Low Acid Coffee K-Cups
- COFFEE FOR SENSITIVE STOMACHS - Coffee helps boost our energy levels and our performance but it can be harmful due to the high acid levels in normal coffee. Not good for people with acid reflux, heartburn, GERD, or other gastrointestinal issues! HealthWise’s low acid coffee k cups fulfills your need for coffee without irritating your stomach.
This low acid coffee is made with carefully selected, high-grade Colombian Arabica beans that are Kosher certified and endorsed by the Vatican. The beans are roasted using an FDA-approved process called TechnoRoasting which minimizes the acid without degrading the beans.
While it reduces acids, this process is said to preserve the essential antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that are excluded by other roasting processes. In addition, this roasting process provides a smoother and lighter aftertaste.
- Uses TechnoRoasting process to reduce acidity from the beans making it healthier and better
- Low acid coffee that can meet coffee needs without irritating your stomach hence ideal for sensitive stomachs
- Made with high-grade Colombian Arabica beans for a nutty flavor
Low Acid Coffee Brands: 2LB Subtle Earth Organic Coffee
- ORIGIN - Subtle Earth Organic Coffee features beans sourced from Honduras that gives the coffee a full bodied, deep, rich, chocolatey flavor with a clean finish and low acidity.
This medium-dark roast by Cafe Don Pablo is perfectly crafted and slow-roasted to deliver a high balance of flavor and body. The coffee is full-bodied with a rich and deep chocolate flavor. Subtle Earth coffee is a non-GMO coffee with a roasted taste that retains the bean’s natural flavor.
What’s more, it offers an appealing and delicious aftertaste with notes of cocoa, honey, and caramel. This organic coffee is certified by CCOF for organic production and roasted to maintain optimal freshness.
- Deep, rich, and chocolatey flavor with a velvet body and low acidity
- Certified organic by CCOF guaranteeing quality
- Roasted to ensure maximum freshness
- 2-LB whole bean with a medium-dark roast
Low Acid Coffee, Blend of Natural Low Acidic Coffee
- pH Level: 5.2-5.3 which is less acid than most other coffees.
This is an awesomely smooth Brazil and Sumatra mix with a rich scent, low acidity, and unique flavor with a thick syrupy finish. Grown at high altitudes in naturally nutrient-dense volcanic soil, these premium quality gourmet beans are roasted on demand.
The international coffee community has recognized this wet-processed coffee for its outstanding quality, placing it among the world’s best coffee beans. Better still, it’s Rainforest Alliance and Fair Trade certified.
- Freshly roasted and immediately packed for maximum freshness preservation
- Medium roasted whole beans for a rich flavor and outstanding taste
- Low acid coffee with a PH level between 5.3-5.2 hence gentle on the stomach
- Sweet, rich flavor with notes of chocolate, nuts, and tangerine
Overall: Best Low Acid Coffee Brands
Our choice for the overall best low acid coffee is Lifeboost Organic coffee. Besides being exceptionally gentle on the stomach, this coffee is Fairtrade, USDA organic certified. What’s more, this medium roast coffee produces a drink with an enticing aroma and a smooth medium/light body. Their medium roast yields a brew with an enticing aroma and a smooth, medium/light body.
Low Acid Coffee Brands: Buyers Guide
What is acidity in coffee
Acidity in coffee refers to the flavor of the coffee whether sweet or bitter. This is naturally occurring. It depends on the PH level.
Types of Acids and Acidity
There are basically two types of coffee acidity. These are:
Treated Low Acid Coffee
This is coffee that has gone through processing techniques such as slow or interrupted roasting in order to minimize the acidity.
Inadvertent Low Acid Coffee
This is coffee that is naturally low in acid. This is mostly dependent on the altitude of the region where the coffee is grown. Generally, coffee is grown in low altitude areas like Nicaragua, Sumatra, Peru, Brazil, etc tend to be low in acid.
Light roast vs. dark roast coffee acidity
Light roasts are more acidic than dark roasts. The longer the coffee is roasted, the more the acidity is killed. Hence, if you have issues with acidity, medium to dark roast coffee is more ideal.
Cold brewing which typically involves steeping coffee ground in water at room temperature rather than using hot water helps reduce coffee acidity to manageable levels. Since cold brew takes a longer time to brew, this reduces the acidity level of the coffee.
Sources of acidity in coffee
There are various factors that contribute to acidity in coffee. Some of these include:
The bean origin: The nature of the area where the coffee bean is sourced from largely determines the acidity level of the resulting coffee. Coffee grown at low altitudes is less acidic compared to those grown at high altitudes. As such, coffee from Sumatra, Nicaragua, and Brazil is naturally very low in acid.
Roast type: The extent to which the coffee beans are roasted and the temperature applied also impact the acidity level of coffee. The longer the beans are roasted, the more the acids are killed. Hence light roast coffee beans are more acidic than dark roasts.
Brewing Type: The method of extraction significantly impacts the acidity of your coffee. Hence cold brews are considered less acidic than hot brewed coffee.
Water used: The alkalinity of the water used in brewing also affects coffee acidity. The ideal water should have a PH level of 7. Poor quality water will give your coffee an acidic taste.
Coffee Brew Mag and its authors DO NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. The site content including but limited to graphics, text and other materials are provided for informational purposes only, and does not intend to substitute professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care professional such as physicians or medical specialists before undertaking any health related decisions.
Low acid coffee health benefits
Low acid coffee has various health benefits which include:
It’s gentle on the stomach
Some people have very sensitive stomachs and react badly to acidic foods. Highly acidic coffee may cause them to have acid reflux, heartburn, gastroesophageal reflux, and other stomach issues. Low acid coffee can help save you from the pain resulting from these issues.
The acid in acids in coffee can cause wearing out of the enamel that protects your teeth from bacteria and other dental problems. With low acid coffee, you will not need to worry about losing your enamel; hence you can enjoy your coffee without any guilt.
Good source of sustained energy
We drink coffee to give us some energy boost. Regular coffee gives around 4-5 hours of energy. Low coffee energy, on the other hand, supplies sustained energy into your bloodstream leaving you energetic for longer.
Signs that your coffee is too acidic for you
With a PH level of about 5, coffee is acidic although not as much compared to many fruit drinks like orange juice. This may cause issues if you have a sensitive stomach that reacts negatively to acidic foods.
But how do you know if your coffee is too acidic for you?
This is what to look out for:
- Acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux is manifested through heartburn. This typically causes pain in the chest where the esophagus meets the stomach
- Enamel problems
How Do You Make Regular Coffee Less Acidic?
Besides opting for low acid coffee variants, there are some of the things you can do to make your coffee less acidic. These include:
- Cold-brew your drink: The way you brew your coffee has a significant effect on its acidity. Cold brewing will neutralize the acidity of your coffee making it less acidic.
- Make use of additives: Adding milk, salt, baking soda, or eggshells while brewing or drinking your coffee will help to neutralize its acidity.
- Go for darker roasts: The longer the coffee beans are roasted, the more the acids are killed. Hence darker roasts are less acidic.
How To Choose Great Low-Acid Coffee
This is what should look out for when choosing a low-acid coffee:
Type of coffee bean: Always ensure you go for coffee made from 100% Arabica beans as these are naturally low in acid.
Coffee origin: Opt for coffee grown in low-altitude areas as they tend to have low acid levels.
Related: Should You Put Cinnamon In Coffee?
Roast level: The extent of roasting and the temperature applied affect the acidity of coffee. The longer the coffee is roasted, the lower in acid it will be. Dark roast coffee is lower in acid than light roasts.
Low Acid Coffee Brands: FAQs
Which coffee is best for acid reflux?
If you suffer from acid reflux, consider going for a cold brew or a darker roast. Cold-brew is smoother and less acidic while dark roast coffee has a lower caffeine content and hence low acid level.
What kind of coffee is easiest on your stomach?
Dark roast coffee produces ingredients that prevent hydrochloric acid from building up in the stomach hence tends to be easier on the stomach in comparison to light roasts.
How do you make coffee less acidic?
You can add milk, eggshells, a pinch of salt, milk, or baking soda to help neutralize the acidity in coffee making it less acidic. Also, consider cold-brewing your drink.
What is the least acidic instant coffee?
All the products on our list are a great choice for the least acidic coffee available today. However, Lifeboost tops the list given its high PH level of 6. You can try it out.
Is decaf coffee less acidic than regular coffee?
Yes, decaf coffee is less acidic than regular coffee. This is because as caffeine is extracted, the levels of phenolic acids are reduced.
Is light or dark roast coffee less acidic?
Dark roast coffee is less acidic than light roast coffee as it’s roasted for longer which kills the acids in the coffee.
Is cold brew coffee less acidic?
Yes, cold brewing your coffee will help neutralize the acids in the coffee making it less acidic.
Low Acid Coffee: Is It Worth It?
So, is low acid coffee worth it? I would definitely say yes. If you are struggling with acid reflux but can’t give up coffee drinking, then the best you can do for yourself is going for low acid coffee.
Besides being easy on the stomach, low acid coffee is packed with minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients that promote good health. Although all the products on our list make great choices, Lifeboost coffee would be a good starting point. Why don’t you try it out?
You can experiment with the various options to identify what appeals to your taste the most. Happy caffeinating
Other Articles You May Enjoy
Last Updated on November 5, 2022 by Shevy