So you want the best coffee for French press. French press is one of the most popular and straightforward brewing methods.
However, the quality and taste are heavily dependent on the quality of the bean. Poor quality beans will give you an unpleasantly bitter-tasting French press coffee.
But, how will you know the best? This review gives you a list of the best coffee for French press to help you choose the best. So here we go.
Related: The 10 Best Espresso Beans – Review & Buying Guide
If you make a purchase through any links on Coffee Brew Mag we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read the full Disclosure here.
At A Glance: The Best Coffee For French Press
- Lifeboost Coffee (Our Top Choice)
- Koffee Kult Dark Roast Coffee
- Peet’s Major Dickason’s Blend
- Stone Street Cold Brew Coffee
- Death Wish Coffee
- Bulletproof French Kick
- Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Volcanica coffee
- illy Ground Drip Coffee
- Two Volcanoes- Gourmet Guatemala Coffee
- Primos Coffee Co. Specialty
Quick Summary: Our Top Picks Of The Best Coffee For French Press
★ OUR TOP CHOICE ! ★Lifeboost Coffee
|Koffee Kult Dark Roast Coffee||
|Peet’s Major Dickason’s Blend||
|Stone Street Cold Brew Coffee||
|Death Wish Coffee||
|Bulletproof French Kick||
|Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Volcanica coffee||
|illy Ground Drip Coffee||
|Two Volcanoes- Gourmet Guatemala Coffee||
|Primos Coffee Co. Specialty||
The 10 Best Coffee for French Press
Lifeboost Coffee – Best Coffee For French Press
- Delicious, Ethically Sourced Coffee: You've tried the rest, now buy the best; Lifeboost Non-Gmo organic whole bean low acid coffee is high in flavor; The beans are sun dried, and spring water washed; The result is pure, natural coffee derived straight from nature
These Arabica beans are intentionally shade-grown in the Nicaraguan mountains without any pesticides or chemicals. In addition, they are hand-picked for purity, hand-washed, sun-dried to remove undesired moisture, and finally roasted to a medium roast, with the right beans making them excellent french press brewing.
With low acidity and a long-lasting aroma of chocolate/nutty undertones combined with the classic taste of Arabica beans, you will enjoy a well-balanced, smooth and earthy body of Lifeboost coffee.
- Shade-grown to preserve flavor
- Hand-selected spring water washed and sun-dried for a high-quality, healthy coffee.
- Low acidity hence easy on the stomach
- 100% pure Arabica beans
- Chocolate and nut undertones giving a sweet taste
Koffee Kult Dark Roast Coffee
- ROASTING the coffee bean small batch dark roasted coffee, packaged immediately and shipped. Every bag is consistently the same! Shipped within hours of roasting.
Do you prefer dark roast coffee? You won’t go wrong with this dark roasted best coffee for French press consisting of 100% Arabica beans sourced from Columbia, Sumatra, and Brazil. The special climate in these locations results in a thick, organic, full-bodied coffee with clean, smooth-tasting, and bold flavor deviant of bitterness.
Additionally, the beans have a solid aroma with undertones of smooth and bright cinnamon. Even better, Koffee Kult beans are dark roasted by hand in small batches before packaging to preserve their natural flavors. The second crack in the roasting process ensures that the beans are perfectly roasted to a dark roast profile and quickly cooled to provide a more flavorful taste.
- Dark-roasted for a strong, bold flavor
- Packaged and shipped immediately after roasting to maintain freshness
Peet’s Major Dickason’s Blend
- Contains one (1) 18 Ounce Bag of Peet's Single Origin Colombia Ground 100% Arabica Coffee
Major Dickason’s Peet offers super-fresh dark roasted beans with essential oils, making them shiny. The bean’s aroma is so intense and unforgettable and hits you as soon as you begin grinding the coffee for your French press. The beans are sourced from rich volcanic plantations that utilize volcanic ash layers as a natural fertilizer.
Making them completely organic. What’s more, the beans are hand-harvested further, making them all-natural. The resulting drink has a distinct flavor and a pleasant sweet-smoky aroma with enticing chocolate and spicy notes. All the shades blend well to produce a rich, smooth, full-bodied complex coffee with multiple layers.
Related: 8 Best Coffee For Cold Brew: Review And Buying Guide
- Dark roasted for a rich, bold flavor
- Hand roasted and tested before shipping to ensure quality
- Labeled with roast dates as a guarantee of freshness
Stone Street Cold Brew Coffee – Best Coffee For French Press
- COLOMBIAN SUPREMO - Unroasted, raw coffee beans.
This is a delicious dark roast coffee ground made from a single-origin, 100% Arabica Colombian Supremo beans. It has a smooth and well-balanced flavor profile with bold slight sweet notes of fruit, chocolate, and caramel. The beans are roasted to a dark color and then coarsely ground, making it a perfect fit for a cold brew in a French press.
But that’s not all: this product comes in an exclusive three-layer packaging to retain freshness for optimal aroma and flavor. If you are an avid coffee lover who appreciates well-balanced taste profiles and freshly roasted beans, then Stone Street Colombian Coffee is total bliss.
- Dark roasted for a bold and robust flavor
- Coarse ground hence ideal for French press
- 100% Arabica beans hence less acidic
Death Wish Coffee – Best Coffee For French Press
- EXTRA KICK OF CAFFEINE: Our whole roasted coffee beans will utterly transform your basic cup of joe into a delicious, bold, and intense beverage that will revolutionize your morning. Super fuel for life in the fast lane, our dark coffee beans will ignite your senses and supply you with an abundance of energy your body needs to perform at its peak condition all day long.
Priding itself as the world’s most robust when it comes to coffee. It uses an exceptional mix of Arabica and Robusta beans to produce a highly caffeinated, dark, and bold coffee. The beans are dark-roasted, resulting in a remarkably smooth cherry and chocolatey brew perfect for kick-starting your day.
Although this coffee contains double the strength of other brands, it’s deviant of the bitterness and the high acidity associated with dark roasts. Better yet, this product is USDA organic certified giving you assurance of high-quality coffee that’s completely natural without any artificial additives. If you believe in ’’the stronger, the better’’, Death Wish coffee is a good choice.
- Dark roast ground coffee for a bold taste
- USDA and Fair Trade certified guaranteeing quality
- World’s strongest coffee to give extra caffeine kick
Bulletproof French Kick – Best Coffee For French Press
- Dark Roast Ground Coffee: Caffeinated coffee with distinct notes of cinnamon, plum, and orange with a cocoa hazelnut finish
Is optimal health top of your priorities? With Bulletproof coffee, you will have no cause for worry. This coffee is enriched with beneficial antioxidants plus brain octane oil, collagen protein, and farm oil that not only gives you a sumptuous cup of joe but also improves your health and productivity.
It’s made with beans sourced from organic estates in Central America, specifically the high-altitude Guatemalan and Columbian farms. The beans are then small-batch roasted in the US roasting houses. The result? A premium dark roast blend with smooth, sweet, smoky notes and chocolate overtones. The clean and medium-bodied finish in this coffee is designed to improve your thinking and working capacity and ensure you maximize your potential.
- Dark roast whole bean coffee gives a solid taste
- High-quality beans for optimal health
- Rainforest Alliance certified assuring quality
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Volcanica Coffee
- OUR ORGANIC ETHIOPIAN YIRGACHEFFE COFFEE IS AN ABSOLUTE FAVORITE With Notes of Bright Citruses And A Sweet Lemon Tea Finish.
This is made with organically grown Arabica beans sourced from Yirgacheffe, Ethiopia. The medium roast coffee presents a sweet and deeply complex fruity tone with hints of ripe strawberry, dark chocolate, lavender, and aromatic cedar in every sip. The unique floral and fruity tones in Volcanica’s Ethiopian Yirgacheffe results from the majority of the crop being harvested from wild coffee trees.
This makes it ideal for use in the French press as it brings out its rich, fruity taste and earthy scent. This high-quality coffee will give you a delectable experience with its well-balanced flavor and acidity that’s not too acidic or bitter and without an aftertaste.
Related: How To Make Coffee On The Stove – 8 Quick & Easy Ways
- Medium roasted to give a balanced flavor and acidity
- 100% organic and thus healthy
- Fair Trade Certified guaranteeing quality
Illy Ground Drip Coffee – Best Coffee For French Press
- Brew method - Ground Drip / French Press / Cold-Press
This is an Italian luxury product made from a blend of nine high-quality different Arabica roasted coffee beans. It presents a complex and aromatic flavor that’s mildly bitter with a sweet-sour note and caramel finish. With a consistent mildly intense medium-roast, these beans will give you coffee without the taste of burnt beans allowing you to enjoy a pure refined taste.
This coffee for French Press comes in a unique packaging that uses an innovative method to change the air into inert gas which stops exposure and preserves the taste even after opening. Thus the coffee you get is highly aromatic.
- Medium roast ideal for French press
- A blend of Arabica beans hence low acidity
- Smooth flavor and balanced whole-bodied flavor with caramel and chocolate notes
Two Volcanoes- Gourmet Guatemala Coffee
- GREAT TASTING GUATEMALAN ORGANIC RARE, SINGLE ORIGIN GOURMET COFFEE - This single origin specialty brings out the best possible aroma and flavor every morning. No blending in from other regions, countries or types of coffee, gives this rare but delicious tasting coffee, a flavor compared to no other. This specific single estate coffee is grown at the base of Two Volcanoes in Guatemala. Great for House or high end restaurants. Better tasting than french roast coffee.
This unique and delicious tasting coffee is made with single estate coffee beans grown at the base of two volcanoes in Guatemala from where it derives its name. The rich volcanic soil in the valley gives the plants the necessary nutrients and minerals to produce beans with full flavor and aroma even before roasting.
The beans are medium roasted giving coffee with balanced flavor, aroma, and acidity. Besides, the beans being small-batch roasted to perfection, they are also carefully sifted through to remove any impurities and mutations. In addition, the beans are packaged immediately after roasting to preserve freshness.
- Single-origin Guatemala giving a uniquely delicious flavor
- Medium roasted for a balanced flavor, aroma, and acidity.
- Packaged immediately after roasting to preserve freshness
Primos Coffee Co. Specialty Coffee – Best Coffee For French Press
- Premium Arabica beans selected from the best micro-lots at our fourth generation family farm produce a delightful, easy-drinking coffee
This uses Nicaraguan shade-grown beans that are hand-picked and medium roasted to an ultra-fine, pleasant flavor. These 100% Arabica beans are not mixed with any other beans hence retaining their consistent flavor. Roasting these beans to a medium level enhances their flavor whilst bringing out their aroma richly and boldly.
To ensure freshness and consistency, the beans are roasted in small batches before shipment. Brewing this mild, low acidity coffee results in a deliciously sweet drink with subtle hints of citrus that your taste buds will appreciate. Although whole beans are deemed most ideal for French press, this ground coffee is an exception that surpasses expectations.
- Coarse ground for French press
- Single-origin coffee beans without blending to retain the unique quality
- Strong and robust flavor with a lovely aroma
Overall The Best Coffee for French Press
Our unrivaled choice for the top best coffee for the french press is the Lifeboost Medium roast coffee. This coffee is clean and pure as it’s made with organic, shade-grown, and single-origin beans that are mycotoxin-free.
Related: How To Grind Coffee Beans With And Without A Grinder
What’s more, the coffee has low acidity hence is easy on your stomach. With just one simple, pure ingredient, you will be getting the cleanest coffee available.
What Is French Press
This is a manual brewing method that allows you to measure ingredients, grind the coffee, pour in the water, and press the plunger yourself.
It makes use of the immersion method with a long steeping time to produce a thick, full-bodied drink. Medium roast, coarse grind beans are the most ideal for French press brewing.
How to pick the best coffee for French press
These are some of the things to consider while choosing the best coffee for the best French press coffee:
Freshness: When it comes to the French press, fresh coffee beans are the best as they retain their flavor and aroma. Pre-ground coffee loses its oils and aroma through oxidation.
Quality of the grind: A much coarser grind is ideal for perfect french press coffee. Since this brewing method is an immersion method with a longer extraction time and slower operation giving you more control to prevent over-extraction.
Roast type: Generally, medium-dark and dark roasts are most suitable for French press coffee.
The best type of roast for French Press
The roasts fall under the following categories:
Light Roast: This is characterized by bright flavor and high acidity levels. The beans are golden brown with no oil on the surface.
Medium roast: These beans have a slightly darker brown color and an oily base. They produce a more bodied coffee with moderate acidity and a balanced smoother taste. This roast is among the best for the French press as they are richly flavored and well-rounded.
Medium-dark roast: These are a bit darker with a more oily surface and lower acidity than medium roasted beans. They are the most ideal for the French press as they are richly flavorful with chocolate and floral notes.
Related: How To Make Lattes At Home + 7 Easy Recipes To Try
Dark roast: These are dark brown with plenty of oil on the surface. They have the lowest acidity and a robust flavor with smoky, bitter notes. They are not a good choice for the French press.
How to brew the best French press coffee
Follow these steps for a perfect cup of French press:
- Grind your beans to a coarse grind
- Preheat the French press with some warm water and empty the cafetiere once it’s warm
- Carefully add your ground beans while paying particular attention to the water/bean ratio.
- Boil water and allow it to cool to an ideal temperature of between 195-205 degrees Celsius before adding it to the cafetiere for a much better brew.
- Let the brew steep for around 3-5 minutes.
- Once steeping ends, gently push the plunger down till all the liquid goes to the farthest possible.
- Enjoy your coffee
Best Coffee for French Press – Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of coffee is best for French press?
Related: Should You Put Cinnamon In Coffee?
Although this is highly dependent on individual tastes and preferences, the best coffee for French press should be of high quality with the right grind, right roast, and optimal freshness.
Can you use regular grind coffee in a French press?
Yes. Regular ground coffee can be used. However, only go for medium or coarse grind. It’s not recommended to use fine grind coffee. The type of grind used impacts on the steeping time.
How do I make the best French press coffee?
You will need French press, stirrer, and coarse ground coffee. Add the coffee grinds, pour water, allow it to sit for 30 minutes, add more while gently stirring then press the plunger down.
Should you Stir French press coffee?
Yes. Gently stir your coffee to ensure that the grind doesn’t hang up on the top but gets integrated into the water. However, don’t stir violently to avoid speeding the extraction process.
Does French press coffee have more caffeine?
Yes, French press coffee contains more caffeine than coffee made using automatic coffee machines with an average 8 oz cup containing around 80-100mg of caffeine. However, this depends on coffee to water ratio and steeping time.
Is French press coffee bad for you?
French press coffee retains most of its natural flavor-rich oils as there’s no filter paper to absorb them. These oils can raise cholesterol levels if consumed on a frequent basis.
How do you keep coffee grounds out of French press?
To keep coffee grounds out of french press, avoid using the fine grind coffee and go for the coarse grind.
Related: The 10 Best Espresso Machine Under 100 Dollars
Which is better French press or pour over?
Both brewing methods have their advantages and disadvantages and the choice depends on an individual. If you prefer smooth coffee with a pleasant flavor, pour-over is better. But, if you love rich, bold tasting coffee, french press is ideal.
Can you use boiling water in a French press?
No. The ideal water temperature for French press coffee brewing is between 195-205 degrees celsius. Boiling water can scald and burn the beans producing a bitter and unpleasant tasting coffee.
There you have it. A list of the very best coffee for the French press. A perfect cup of French press coffee starts with choosing the right beans. With the right coffee beans, you will get a rich, smooth, and intensely flavored French press brew.
Most importantly, choose the beans with the right grind and roast level for that great cup of French press coffee. Therefore, you can experiment with the various brands on our list and find the coffee that appeals to your taste buds the most.
Read Next: 13 Different Coffee Drinks You Could Make At Home Easy
Whether a novice or an experienced barrister and no matter your preference, you are sure to find something that appeals to your taste from our picks. After all, there is no one-size-fits-all in coffee matters. Still not sure what to go for? You can start with our top pick: Lifeboost coffee. Happy caffeinating!
Last Updated on November 4, 2022 by Shevy